Accessibility statement for GOV.UK Verify technical documentation
This website is run by the Government Digital Service (GDS). We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- there are images which contain text, and a text-only alternative is not available
- the colour contrast is not high enough for some of the images
What to do if you cannot access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille, please contact email@example.com with details of your request.
We’ll aim to reply within 2 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
GDS is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
Non accessible content
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non compliance with the accessibility regulations
There are some images which contain text, and a text-only alternative is not available. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.5 (images of text).
The colour contrast ratio for some of the images is less than 3:1. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.4.11 (non-text contrast).
We will make all these elements fully accessible by September 2020.
How we tested this website
We last tested this website for accessibility issues in September 2019.
We used manual and automated tests to look for issues such as:
- lack of keyboard accessibility
- link text that’s not descriptive
- lack of colour contrast for text, important graphics and controls
- images not having meaningful alt text
- lack of subtitles for videos
- problems when using assistive technologies such as screen readers and screen magnifiers
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We will make changes to this website to make it fully accessible.
- provide text alternatives for any images
- increase the colour contrast ratio for all images to 3:1 or higher
We will make these changes by September 2020.
This statement was prepared on 20 September 2019. It was last updated on 15 November 2019.